Sunday, April 22, 2007

A $4 trillion economy

From today's ST (23 April 2007):

Extraordinary govt, talent keep S'pore ahead, says MM
By Peh Shing Huei

...

While he understood the emotions associated with the increases - which raised ministers' annual pay from $1.2 million to $1.6 million - he urged Singaporeans to think of the larger picture.

'You want to quarrel about $20 million over a $4 trillion economy? I say, rubbish. Let's say the PAP crashes tomorrow, right? One boatload sinks, 3,000 people dead. You have an election. You're going to reproduce this government? No...

...

Even though I must be one of the very few people who isn't against the ministerial pay rise, this is astonishing. Seriously, the sheer arrogance of calling ourselves a $4 trillion economy...

Shame on the write of this article who did not correct the MM on this.

2 comments:

kwayteowman said...

Fox,

Would you mind sharing with the KTM why you support the recent pay hike? The KTM is truly interested to understand how people think, esp. those who don't agree with the opinion of the majority. Thanks. :-)

Warmest Regards.

Fox said...

KTM,

I don't support the payrise; I'm just not against it. I am a little busy but when I am free, I will try to blog why I'm not against the payhike. I have looked at the arguments against it (Mr Wang Says So, Singapore Angle, Yawning Bread, etc) and some of them are not particularly convincing to me. This is not to say that all the arguments for or against the pay rise are bad.

In other words, on this issue I'm a fence-sitter lah. ;)